March has a lot of meaning for a lot of people. In the Northern Hemisphere, it is the Spring season, in India it relates with both the colorful Holi festival and the closing of financial year. But ask any Indian student and their faces will tell you that it is exam time for them. And for a certain section of the population, the ongoing exams are one of the most crucial ones. The 10th and 12th standard students are facing one of the most crucial evaluations. Be it any board, this is one the largest examinations. In the state of Maharashtra itself, there are more than 15 Lakh students appearing for their 12th HSC Exams.
Undoubtedly, these are defining exams for any Indian Student. On the basis of SSC marks, the students start streamlining their approaches towards their career. They need to choose their subjects between Science, Commerce and Humanities and each one have their cut-offs based on SSC Results. Even the HSC marks direct the students towards particular colleges and their professional courses. A lot stands on the percentages acquired as a result of their exam performances. The SSC and HSC diplomas are even used as proof of date of birth.
Thus, it is natural for students to feel stressed and sometimes demotivated during these exams. They also realise the significance of these exams and the social scrutiny during the exam makes even the prep leaves an unpleasant experience for some. There is not much that can be done about the external factors, but the here are some tips that can be personally incorporated by students to not their nerves get better of themselves-
- Accept what you cannot change: Limited time? Did not do enough practice papers in February? Unfair marking on the pre board evaluations? These thoughts are best used to learn lessons and move on- to be implemented when you face a similar situation in future. However, at this point- you need to understand and accept the limitations you have and work with them instead of ruminating about past possibilities. Often these, factors acts as a source of worry without any antidotes.
- Make a to-do list: Now that you are aware of what cannot be done, it is time to focus on what is in your control. Understand your strengths and weaknesses to work with aspects like syllabus of the course, your conceptual knowledge and your personal schedule. Make a time-table accordingly and with milestones and deadlines to keep yourself on track.
- Take Organised Breaks: Within your study-plans, make sure you put in breaks as well. For example, you can keep a one hour study session as such- 30 minutes of conceptual learning, followed by 20 minutes of review/ revision and ends with 10 minutes of a break. Ideally, keep a 20-30 minutes of break for every 2-3 hours of study. It is important to take regular breaks for mind to freshen up and make space for any further learning.
- Do not mix tasks: Keep your focus on the task at hand. If you are eating- eat, if you have studying english, do not worry about the maths exam 4 days later. Concentrating on one thing at a time increases productivity in that task. Trying to do something while distributing your attention to other things lowers the efficiency in both aspects.
- Peaceful Environment: The human mind can think up of many things just by itself. Thus, ensure that the environment is peaceful and quiet, free from any distractions.
- Maintain regular routine: Sleeping on time, eating proper meals at regular intervals, 15-20 minutes of physical exercise and other activities of daily living should be maintained ideally. It keeps your mind and body healthy and on track. Hence, one is more prepared for their study time and the examination itself.
- Exam end when you submit the paper: Once you have given the paper, that subject is over. Do not worry about what you have done in that paper. Instead, channelise your time and energy to what comes next.
Following these tips are fruitful for effective learning. Identifying the right learning style, suitable study schedule and techniques for individual subject is important as well. The U.S. Patented Dermatoglyphics Multiple Intelligence Test by Brainwonders is crucial in identifying these and much more. It also provides effective career guidance and counselling which the students can focus on right after their exams while they await their results. Thus, they are much more determined and clear when prepping up for the next step in their academic and professional development- making their journey more organised, smooth and stress-free- giving them the results of their hard work and ambition!