Career Counselling : Consider these two situations, one in which you make a decision to either buy or to place an order by taking someone’s advice and a situation in which you have to decide everything all by yourself. Now, be honest and tell me, where will you be more comfortable or satisfied? We always look for suggestions and advice for almost everything in our lives- be it what to eat, what to wear to a party, which place to visit, and sometimes we even discuss whom to vote… then why is it that we do not seek help when we have to make such an important decision of our lives- Career Planning? There is no doubt that your career will remain important for 30-40 years of your life.
If you are enjoying what you are doing right now in your life, be it studying or working, know your calling, then it is advised to use the career guidance to set and achieve the desired goals and be prepared for future challenges. And, those of you who are still struggling and often these questions to yourself- “What am I doing in life?”, “Do I really have to work like this?”, “Why am I not happy despite being getting the highest pay in my friend circle?”, “Should I be just upfront and talk to my parents about my abilities?”, then dear friends, it’s time to seek answers.
Now, let’s go back to the step where we most of the time make the mistake, which is how do we decide to choose a particular career. And, it is all dependent on which stream, what subjects, what college, what course, what job, which sector of industry and so on. Parents Influence, Peer Influence, Academic excellence, Media hype and fluctuating Interests are some of the traditional ways of deciding our careers. The sad part is that a very less amount of people make it to their perfect career but larger amounts face problems like- Ignorance of career, Wrong stream, job dissatisfaction.
It’s high time we realize the importance of career counselling for an overall development as a professional, as a student, and eventually, as a responsible citizen contributing to the nation as well. Career counselling is a way a student can get expert guidance in career-making. It is a process that will help an individual to become self-aware about his interest and abilities, various career prospects.
What’s the solution? It’s simple, career counselling. Consider this, whenever you are trying to learn something new, for instance, riding a bicycle, would it not be easier to do it with someone guiding you rather than you learning to do everything all by yourself?
IMPORTANCE OF CAREER COUNSELLING-
We aren’t blessed with everything, every knowledge or every skill. So, each one of us requires guidance at some point in our life, at personal and professional levels.
Career Counselling provides the student with constructive help and can be helpful in multiple ways. here are the top 5 ways career counselling assists students and parents:
- Reaching to your Final Destination- Based on extensive assessment done by Career Counsellors, you get a much clearer picture of the decisions you are making while selecting a particular career. Counsellors assess your personality, interests, and aptitude. They also see whether you have passion for that profession or not and based on the assessment, they provide you with a whole range of careers that will guarantee you success.
- Access to the rich career repository- It is important to know what you want to become in life. Counselling provides access to a rich repository of various resources and knowledge. One must know in-depth knowledge about a career, steps to pursue them, its job outlook, best colleges, details of the courses to be enrolled in, and skillsets required.
- Relief from Career Related Anxiety- I very well understand that selecting a career can become a tedious task for both parents and children. Such situations create a lot of havoc of emotions and thoughts leading to frustration and stress. Career Counselling provides a platform where such frustrations can be tackled, and focus is shifted to selecting the best career options.
- Get to know straight from your Role-Model- It is always good to know about a particular career from someone who has had a good rich experience in the same field. Career Counselling helps students to know these people who have enough life experiences to share. This provides some inspiration to students looking to find their way in this world.
- Helps Remove the Confusion- Career Counsellors can also help you remain calm when it comes to making a career decision. Counselling helps you to focus, and sustain that focus throughout your activities. Through proper scheduling and planning, they try to make your life more organized.
So now you must have realized the importance of Career Counselling– while you make that career choice, make sure it is the right one.