Bachelor Of Journalism and Mass Communication: Eligibility, Colleges, Fees, Top Recruiters
01 November,2022 | By Brainwonders
BJMC or Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication is a 3-year undergraduate degree course for those who want a career in journalism and Mass Communication. Students are taught very suspects of gathering, transmitting and delivering information to a larger audience. BJMC opens various career fields in news channels, newspapers, publishing houses, television, radio, etc. India is the second largest consumer of newspapers, and with 400 news channels, there are a lot of job opportunities for BJMC graduates in future.
This 3 Years Bachelor of Mass Communication course is suitable for candidates who are eager to voice their views in front of the people without a tint of fear, are dynamic in their speech, and have an unbeatable aptitude.
Compared to old methods of journalism, students now need to acquire new skills and study new topics. They are also trained in a plethora of fields ranging from digital marketing to anchoring.
We have tried to address everything about the Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication course below in this article.
Let us begin.
Table of Contents:
- Highlights of Bachelor of Journalism Course
- Eligibility Criteria for BJMC
- Entrance Exam for Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Admission Process for Bachelor of Mass Communication
- Skills required for Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication Specialisation in India
- Top Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication Colleges in India with fees
- Top BJMC Private Colleges in India with fees
- Semester-wise Syllabus for Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Job Opportunities in Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Salary of BJMC Graduates
- Top Recruiters of BJMC Graduates
- Job Profiles and Average Salary Package of BJMC Graduates
Highlights of BJMC Course:
|Annual Course fee
||INR 35000 to INR 2 lakh
|Average Initial Salary
||INR 200000 to INR 8.5 lakh
||University Level Entrance or Merit-Based
|Minimum Academic Requirement
||Class 12th with any stream
|Minimum Aggregate Required
||At least 50%
||Government/Private Media Houses, Publishing Houses, Advertising Organization, etc.
Eligibility criteria for Bachelor in Journalism and Mass Communication:
Candidates must meet the following requirements to pursue Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication Course:
- Candidates must be class 12th pass from any stream with a minimum aggregate of at least 50 to 60% marks.
- Candidates should be a minimum of 17 years of age.
- Candidates must be medically fit.
- Candidates from SC/ST/OBC/PH gets 5% relaxation in marks.
Entrance Exams for Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication Colleges:
The popular BJMC entrance exams includes:
- LPU NEST
- IPU CET
- CUET UG
Exam Pattern: Objective type
Time: 1.5 - 3 hours (depending on the exam and college)
Followed by: Group Discussion or a Personal Interview
Sections of Exam:
- Logical reasoning
- Current affairs
- General Awareness
- Media awareness
Admission Process for Bachelors of Mass Communication:
Admission for Bachelor of Mass Communication is carried out in two ways:
- Entrance Exam
This is then followed by a counselling session, after clarifying which the candidates are eligible to reserve their seats in the desired colleges.
- Candidates require to appear for exams conducted by colleges offering the course or they need to submit the required documents proving their eligibility for the course.
- After the cutoffs are released, the passed candidates are then called for a personal interview round or a group discussion round.
- After analysing every detail in each round, the final list of passed candidates is then released.
- Students will then take part in the counselling process according to their ranks and scores.
Skills required for Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication:
Every job requires a unique set of soft skills to perform every task precisely. The skills required for the Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication course are:
- A flair For writing
- Strong networking skills
- Critical thinking
- Ability to work under rough conditions
- Interviewing skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to research well
- Interpretation skills
- High confidence
- Observation skills
- The flair of the language
- Analytical skills
- Ability to work under strict deadlines
- Problem-solving skills
Take the personality test by Brainwonders and know which skills match with personality.
Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication specialisations in India:
Students pursuing BJMC can select from any of the below mentioned specialisations according to their interests:
- Electronic media
- Anchoring and reporting
- Camera handling and lighting
- Digital Marketing
- Film making
- Media planning
- Print media
Top Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication Colleges in India:
- Vivekanand Institute of Professional Studies
- Bhartiya Vidyapeeth Institute of Computer Applications and Management
- Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Management Studies
- Trinity Institute of Professional Studies
- IIMT Group of Colleges, Greater Noida
- IMS Ghaziabad
- Institute of Management Studies
- International Institute of Mass Media
- Noida International University
- Tecnia Institute of Advanced Studies
The average Fees of Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication colleges range from INR 50000 to INR 3 lakh in India.
A perfect guide is a secret behind the best choices. Have your guide with Brainwonders and be successful too.
Top Private Colleges of Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication in India:
- Take One School of Mass Communication
- Invertis University
- National Institute of mass communication and journalism Ahmedabad
- Jagannath International Management School
The average fees of private Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication colleges range from 2.5 lakh to 5 lakh.
Also read about fashion designing courses in India.
Semester-wise syllabus for Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication:
Every student will have to study the following subjects in three years and six semesters journey of Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication:
- Semester 1:
- Writing for media
- Introduction to journalism
- Indian culture
- Design and Graphics lab
- Introduction to communication
- Basics of design and graphics
- Communication lab
- The socioeconomic and political scenario
- Communicative Hindi
- Computer lab
- Semester 2:
- History of print and broadcasting in India
- Still photography
- Theory of communication
- Print Journalism lab
- Medial laws and ethics
- State politics and constitution
- Photo lab
- Print journalism I
- Application of computer in media
- Computer lab
- Semester 3:
- Development and communication
- Basics of camera lights and sound
- Print journalism lab
- Radio journalism and production
- Media management
- Summer training report
- Operation and handling of video equipment lab
- Print journalism II
- Folk media
- Video journalism and production lab
- Semester 4:
- Television journalism and production
- Public relations
- Introduction to Advertising
- New media
- Public relations lab
- Television journalism and production lab
- National and international affairs
- Fundamentals of economic and Indian economy
- New media lab
- Semester 5:
- Advertising practices
- Environment communication
- Media research
- Tribal communication
- Communication Research
- Event Management: Principles and methods
- Internship report
- Functional exposure report
- Event management lab
- Advertising lab
- Media Research lab
- Semester 6:
- Media organisation and management
- Contemporary issues
- Global media scenario
- Value education
- Final project
- Comprehensive viva
Job Opportunities in Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication:
Students can choose from the following jobs according to the area of their interests:
- Creative director
- Public relation officer
- Public relation manager
- Radio jockey
- Video Jockey
Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication Salary:
The average salary of a BJMC graduate ranges between INR 300000 to INR 4.5 lakh. It can increase based on the years of expertise and skills gained.
Top Recruiters of Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication Graduates:
- Hindustan Times
- Malayala Manorama
- HD Media
- All India Radio
- Jagran Prakash Group
- The Pioneer
- The Hindu
- Zee Network
- Network 18
- Times Group
- India Today Group
- India TV
- Indian Express
- Balaji Telefilms Limited
- Sahara One Media and Entertainment Limited
- Star India
- Anand Bazaar Patrika (ABP)
Job Profile and Average Salary Package of Bachelor of Media Graduates:
- Journalist - INR 3.5 lakh
- Media Consultant - INR 6.2 lakh
- Social Media Manager - INR 3.5 lakh
- Photojournalist - INR 3.5 lakh
- Public Relations Specialist - INR 5.6 lakh
- News Analyst - INR 6.8 lakh
FAQs on Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication:
What is the duration of a BJMC Course in India?
A typical Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication course lasts for 3 years in India.
What are the universities that offer distance courses in Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication or BJMC?
Jiwaji University, Mahatma Gandhi Chitrakoot Gramodaya Vidyalaya, Amity Online University, etc. offer BJMC courses in distance mode.
What is the duration of the distance BJMC course?
The distance BJMC course lasts from 1 to 3 years, depending upon the grasping ability of the students.
Candidates have various options for furthering their education. Furthermore, job opportunities after BJMC are flexible and diverse. The candidates can find jobs in periodicals, magazines, the press information bureau, websites, AIR, and television channels.
However, selecting a college and studying BJMC might be confusing to some students. Even though they want a career in media, their parents might not be in the same line because their child's safety comes first for them. At the same time, this job demands working in rough weather and hostile environment conditions during riots. But, it can not be neglected that career options and promotions are unbeatable.
If you are also confused about selecting a Bachelor of Journalism and Mass Communication as a career and are looking for someone to provide answers to your questions, then you must visit Brainwonders. India's largest Career counselling company provides a clear career path for students with the least resistance.
You can rest assured that every decision will be made unbiased and aligned with your interests.
Are you aware which subjects and courses will bring you closer to your dream career?
Worry not, because the Brainwonders test and guidance will not only help you know it, but also follow it!