The aptitude test is used to chart one’s developed or developing skills and interests. It basically refers to one’s ability to do certain kinds of work. The aptitude is the most popular and time-tested assessment conducted during academic period and for corporate management as well.
The aptitude test helps in understanding the link or relationship between one’s cognitive abilities, career fields and performance in a profession. The aptitude test will always give a profile where one would be able to know the strengths and also the areas where further growth is required.
Aptitude scores are a widely prefered method of understanding one’s suitability for a particular career. It is due to this that aptitude tests are administered for those who are on the brink of making their career choices or want to enhance their chosen vocation. Using the aptitude test is thus highly recommended and sought after by all as it serves as a data point for career planning and execution.
Some aptitude tests are highly specific and conducted to evaluate the candidates competitively for certain courses in college, professional degrees (like business or law), and for recruitment and employment in certain corporates. However, one can appear for the comprehensive ones at school level itself to track future prospects and develop accordingly. Thus, it is available at various career guiding and educational counseling institutes and one can use the aptitude profile for the following purposes:
As the child starts exploring the world of formal education, parents, teachers and other mentors can use the analysis to set certain benchmarks and choose the teaching methods accordingly to ensure a smooth and effective vocational growth.
This is the right age to know how the child is acquiring and grasping certain thoughts and skills and the results can also be used to shape the child beyond academics without limiting them to any single domain and encourage multidimensional curiosity.
At this stage, the school courses begin diversifying into more subjects focussing on specific topics and themes each having their own demands while the student needs to also enhance their extracurricular interests and talents without stress.
The test profile would be able to provide a SWOT analysis of the journey so far which the child and relevant guides can use to explore certain career options and overcome any personal limitations to their professional goals and initiate serious consideration and planning with respect to future goals.
By this time, one is able to understand that one cannot make a career decision only on the basis of interests and current strengths. Future oriented factors like satisfaction, prospects and work-life balance should become clear and then on may proceed on a specific career path while keeping private preferences aligned.
Students, adults and employees- all of them use aptitude tests in order to understand and acknowledge the abilities that they posses. Aptitude tests measures the strongest and the weakest abilities of an individual and also helps them understand which abilities are stronger. In this way the individuals will have a knowledge as to which career to choose and which career will be better for them by looking at the strengths and weaknesses. Now a days, it has become easier to access standardized aptitude tests, thanks to the evolution of the internet. Kids can access the aptitude tests and would not have to wait a long time in order to get the results as they will get the results within minutes and it would be free of human error as well as baisfree.
There are various types of aptitude tests that are being used and which measure different abilities. Online tests are also available. Aptitude tests are more commonly used by school students and college students as they are wanting to understand their abilities and also looking at career choices. By taking an aptitude test they will get a clearer picture as to which career path should they choose. In short, an aptitude test is important in choosing a better career path as it will help the individuals to understand their inner traits and abilities that they posses.
The Brainwonders aptitude test is a multiple choice format timed test (online or offline).
As an objective test, the inputs of the clients are scored using standardised key.
An aptitude profile and complete report is generated and compiled.
The counsellor explains the results and addresses the subjective needs of the clients.
● Abstract reasoning:
Ability to contextualize information and recognize patterns and critical metric for individuals that seek to enter management,
● Spatial Visualization : Ability to manipulate 2D and 3D shapes cognitively.
● Manual dexterity: Ability to perform manual tasks,
● Numerical Aptitude: Ability in mathematical proficiency,
● Creative skills: Ability to use out-of-the box approach,
● Literary skills: Evaluates literary skills like comprehen stories, write simple letters and construct simple sentences.
● Organizational skills: Ability to manage multiple dynamics variables
● Leadership skills: Ability to manage human resources
● Spelling : Evaluates the ability to recognize correct spellings and forms.
● Perceptual speed and accuracy: Ability to quickly read, compare and make simple inferences from the given information.
● Scientific skill: Ability and understanding in basic scientific concepts
● Mechanical reasoning and understanding: Ability to use simple technical concepts and principles.
The primary objective of an aptitude test is to check the multiple abilities of the individual. It helps in maximizing their combination of strengths while working on the concerned areas. The test plays a pivotal role in selecting the right profession.
An aptitude test is divided into a number of subtests; where the numerical, verbal,abstract, logical reasoning, accuracy and spatial reasoning are a few categories which the test is designed. The test may vary as per field to be tested for each individual and purpose of taking the test.
There are majorly categorized as
● Numerical: Includes basic arithmetic, number sequences and simple mathematics. In management level test logical and analytical abilities like brain teasers, puzzles and logical reasoning, graphs and data-interpretation.
● Verbal : Includes grammar, spellings, ability to understand analogies and follow detailed instructions and various communication skills.
● Abstract: Measures the ability to identify the underlying logic of a pattern and determine the solution. It is the best indicator for fluid intelligence and ability to learn new concepts quickly.
● Logical reasoning: It is also known as critical analysis which helps in assessing a candidate’s ability to interpret patterns, number sequences and diagrammatic tests.
● Clerical speed and accuracy: This test is a classic approach to the ability of measuring a person’s ability to read quickly, compare set of information and make simple decision.
● Mechanical reasoning: This is also known as Technical reasoning. The candidate is mostly tested on the engineering and technical tests.
● Spatial reasoning: It is a reasoning skill that refers the capacity to think about three-dimensions and draw conclusion about those objects for limited information.
The aptitude test evaluates the skills and talents that have been acquired with respect to the person's background and normalized scores. The result also highlights the career choices on the basis of strengths but does not declare one to limit themselves to their strengths. It encourages one to work on all aspects to keep all career options open, paving the way for professional success.
One can take the test using any phones or a computer and even avail the counselling via a scheduled call with the counsellor.
Brainwonders centres have the materials and expert counsellors to conduct and interpret the report.