BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts): Full Form, Course, Eligibility, Admission Process, Colleges, Jobs
16 November,2022 | By Brainwonders
BFA stands for Bachelor in Fine Arts. It is a 3 to 4 years undergraduate program, also known as visual arts in some cases. This course includes sculpture, literature, animation, and other specializations from which students can choose according to their interests.
BFA course provides ample opportunities for graduates to earn and gain popularity and prestige.
BFA Course allows candidates to develop skills which can also be used in other areas of life. It also allows them to build a network for themselves.
Take a free career test by Brainwonders and find your right career path.
Table of Contents:
- BFA course highlights
- Why BFA?
- BFA eligibility criteria
- BFA admission process
- BFA entrance exams
- Skills required for BFA course
- BFA specialisations
- Types of BFA Courses:
- Full-time BFA Course
- Part-time BFA Course
- Distance BFA Course
- BFA course curriculum
- BFA year wise syllabus
- BFA semester wise syllabus
- BFA IGNOU
- BFA Colleges According to Locations and States
- BFA Colleges in Kerala
- BFA Colleges in Mumbai
- BFA Colleges in Hyderabad
- BFA Colleges in Delhi
- BFA Abroad Study
- BFA Colleges Overseas with fee structure in INR
- Course to pursue after BFA
- BFA Specialisations and Details
- BFA Painting
- BFA Applied Arts
- BFA Animation
- BFA Pottery and Ceramics
- BFA Textile Design
- BFA Course Comparison: BFA vs BA
- Job Prospects, Descriptions, and Salaries offered
- Job Profiles
- Scope of BFA
- BFA FAQs
BFA Course Highlights:
|BFA Full form
||Bachelor in Fine Arts
|BFA Course Duration
|BFA Course Mode
|BFA Course Eligibility Criteria
||Class 12th passed with an aggregate of 50% marks
|BFA Course Admission Process
|BFA Average Course Fees
||INR 30k to INR 3 lakh
|BFA Average salary
||INR 3 lakh to INR 6 lakh
|Areas of employment
||Design, Film Industry, Animation Industry, etc.
- A BFA course educates and Reforms candidates' skills to enable them to become artists in their chosen field.
- Candidates with a creative mindset get to study many things that are not in other courses and enjoy their passion for Arts and visual art.
- BFA course allows the candidates to have a chance of proper guidance through which they can brush up on the skills required in this profession.
- Candidates get a chance to do an internship under some renowned visual artists, which enhances their knowledge on the particular subject.
BFA Eligibility Criteria:
- The candidate must have completed class 12th from any recognized board in India.
- Candidates must have obtained a minimum aggregate of 50% marks and their class 12 board exams.
- The candidates must have English or Hindi as their core subjects in class 12th.
- There is no age limit for applying for the BFA course.
BFA Admission Process:
- The candidates must check the official website of the desired institute and apply for the entrance exam.
- Some universities also conduct aptitude tests. These universities include:
- University of Delhi
- University of Hyderabad
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Kurukshetra University
- Amity University
- Admissions to some universities are based on merits, for which the marks secured in class 12th will be checked.
BFA Entrance Exams:
- BHU UET
- TISS BAT
- IPU CET
Skills Required for BFA Course:
The following soft skills are required to pursue BFA Course:
- Sketching Skills
- Visualization Skills
- Artistic Skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Drawing skills
- Imaginative Skills
- Presentation skills
- Communication skills
||Pottery and Ceramics
|Drama and Theatre
Types of BFA Courses:
Candidates are required to attend the regular classes in a full-time BFA course.
A full-time BFA course gives more scope for learning and connecting to other individuals for a beneficial professional career.
Some universities which of a full-time BFA course are mentioned below with fee structure:
- Banaras Hindu University - INR 2.4k
- Ecole Intuit Lab - French Institute of Design, Digital and Strategy - INR 4.5 lakh
- Sir JJ School of Art - INR 75000
- BBK DAV College for Women - INR 21.7k
- CT University - INR 41000
- SAGE University - INR 60k
- GOEL Group of Institutions - INR 32k
- Alagappa University - INR 7.5k
Some Colleges offering part-time BFA are mentioned below with fee structures:
- Annamalai University - INR 3.9k
- Venkateshwara Open University - INR 20k
Distance BFA Course is chosen by those candidates who are eager to study but cannot reach the college campus physically.
BFA Distance Course can be completed within 2-years.
The eligibility criteria for the distance BFA program are:
- The candidates must have passed class 12th with a minimum aggregate of 45% marks.
- Candidates from any stream are eligible for BFA Course.
Some of the best colleges offering distance learning BFA programs are mentioned below with fee structures:
- Sastra University - INR 19k
- NIMS University - INR 30k
- MKU University - INR 15k
- Himalayan University - INR 12k
- Subharti University - INR 12k
- Jaipur National University - INR 15k
BFA Course Curriculum:
|BFA Theory Subjects
||BFA Practical Subjects
||Clay Modelling and Sculpture
||Visual Arts Process and Practices
|Human Values and Professional Ethics
||Sketching and Drawing
|Cultural History of India
|History of Indian Arts
|Basics of Computer Fundamentals
|Design and Communication Practice
||2D Art and Design
BFA Year-wise Syllabus:
|BFA First-year Syllabus
|History and Appreciation of Art
||Painting from Full figure
|Methods and Materials I
|BFA Second-Year Syllabus
||Composition B, Dimensional, Stone, and Wood Carving
|Methods and Materials
||Ceramics and Moulds
|BFA Third-Year Syllabus
||History and Appreciation
|Method and Materials 2
||Indian Aesthetic, Portrait Painting
BFA Semester-wise Syllabus:
- Sketching and Drawing 1
- Elements of Design
- Geometry 1
- Engineering Graphics
- Material Exploration 1
- Geometry 2
- Material Exploration 2
- Visual Composition
- Introduction to Photography
- Computer Applications 1
- Narrative Skills 1
- Introduction to Digital Media in Social Context
- Imagining Tools and Techniques
- Principles of Animation 1
- Introduction to Game Design
- Design for print
- Design process
- Digital image and image editing
- Narrative skills 2
- Intro to 3D and animation
- Intro to game design 2
- Principles of game design 2
- Principles of animation 2
- Intro to UI/UX design
- Branding and communication
- UV texturing and mapping
- Visual effects and motion graphics
- Designs sculpting and texturing
- Level design in games 1
- Sound design 1
- Optimisation techniques
- Level design in games 2
- Game engines
- Type in motion
- Elements in video production
- Environment design
- Game and animation prototype
- Self study
- Web based interaction
- Digital graphic art
- Game design
- Portfolio design
- Industry internship
- Design project
- Open elective
- Digital paint
- Product Photography
- Packaging graphics
- Transportation Design
- Retail and space design
Top Careers Options After Completing BFA:
|Video Game Designer
BFA IGNOU courses are designed for distance learners. The BFA Course from IGNOU includes the following points:
- The candidates may step by step class 12th from any stream.
- The duration of the course is two years.
- The cost of the course is INR 6k.
BFA Colleges According to Locations and States with Fee structure:
BFA Colleges in Kerala:
- Amrita School of Arts and Science - INR 86.5k
- The Sree Sankaracharya University of Sanskrit - INR 2.325
- College of Fine Arts - INR 2.93k
BFA Colleges in Mumbai:
- Sir JJ School of Art - INR 75k
- Amity University - INR 80K
- Garware Institute of Career Education and Development - INR 5.5 lakh
- Rachna Sansad School of Design - INR 41000
BFA Colleges in Hyderabad:
- Jawaharlal Nehru Architecture and Fine Arts University - INR 20k
- Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University - INR 5.8k
- Sri Venkateswara College of Fine Arts - INR 25k
BFA Colleges in Delhi:
- Jamia Millia Islamia University - INR 10.5k
- Delhi University - INR 20.8k
- Delhi College of Arts - INR 1.24 lakh
- GD Goenka University - INR 1.29 lakh
- Amity University - INR 1.3 lakh
Find about the best colleges with the career hub
BFA Abroad Study:
BFA Course is known as Arts and Design Course in Overseas Colleges. To pursue BFA in abroad college, every student must meet the following requirements:
- Students must wear class 12th or High School with a high percentage.
- They must have English proficiency proof, and the scores in the exams must meet the minimum level:
- IELTS: 6.5 bands
- TOEFL: 90 score
- PTE: 61 score
BFA Colleges Overseas with fee structure in INR:
- Royal College of Arts - INR 1.89 lakh
- University of Arts, UK - INR 15.1 lakh
- Person School of Design - INR 31 lakh
- MIT, US - INR 39 lakh
- The Glasgow School of Art - INR 17.9 lakh
- Rhode Island School of Design - INR 37.7 lakh
Also find the fees and eligibility criteria for Masters of Engineering.
Which Course to Pursue After BFA?
After graduating with BFA, students can pursue higher studies, such as a Master in Fine Arts.
The basic requirements for MFA are mentioned below:
- The candidates must have completed their graduation from a recognized University with at least 55% marks.
- The candidates must also clear a personal interview round followed by the qualifying exams.
The average fee for a Master in Fine Arts: is INR 7k to INR 4 lakhs.
The average salary of MFA graduates: is INR 3 lakh to INR 13 lakh.
BFA Specializations And Details:
BFA Painting teaches students about art history, drawing images from reality, photography techniques, sculpting, printing, etc.
- The average fee for BFA Painting: is INR 2 lakh
- The average salary of BFA Painting graduates: is INR 3.5 lakh
The top Colleges which offer BFA Painting Courses are mentioned below:
- Chandigarh University - INR 85k
- RIMT University - INR 85k
- Mangalayatan University - INR 25k
- Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj University - INR 25k
BFA Applied Arts:
BFA Applied Arts teach the candidates about areas of item creation, such as sculpture, music, and interior design.
- The average fee of BFA Applied Arts: is INR 2 lakh.
- The average salary of BFA Applied Arts: is INR 4 lakh.
Top Colleges for BFA Applied Arts:
- Chandigarh University - INR 84k
- Noida International University - INR 62k
- Manipal University - INR 1.16 lakh
- MIT World Peace University - INR 1.2 lakh
BFA Animation covers 3D animation, computer graphics, and character design topics.
- The average fee of BFA Animation: is INR 2.5 lakh
- The average salary for BFA Animation Graduation: is INR 4 lakh
Top BFA Animation Colleges:
- Amity University: INR 1.44 lakh
- Sri Sri University - INR 1.41 lakh
- Swami Vivekanand Subharti University - INR 71k
BFA Pottery and Ceramics:
BFA Pottery and Ceramics teaches fundamentals and advanced skills in pottery
- The average fee of BFA Pottery and Ceramics: is INR 1.5 lakh
- The average salary of a BFA Pottery and Ceramics graduate: is INR 4 lakh
Top BFA Pottery and Ceramics Colleges:
- MIT Art, Design, and Technology University - INR 60k
- Banaras Hindu University - INR 3.08k
- Sir JJ School of Arts - INR 20k
BFA Textile Design:
BFA Textile Design covers many topics, such as knitting, printing, weaving, etc.
- The average fee for BFA Textile Design: is INR 1 lakh
- The average salary of BFA Textile Design graduates: is INR 4 lakh.
Top Colleges for BFA Textile Design:
- Sir JJ School of Arts - INR 20k
- Tatyam School of Design - INR 1.37 lakh
Also read about Hotel Management Course
What are the upcoming trends in Interior designing? Eager to know? Check it out
BFA Course Comparison: BFA Vs BA
||Bachelor in Fine Arts
||Bachelor of Arts
||2 to 4 years
||Bachelor of Fine Arts prepares a student for creative careers in visual arts and other arts topics.
||BA degree teaches students a variety of skills such as language and liberal Arts, etc.
||INR 2 lakh
||INR 32 lakh to INR 6 lakh
||INR 2.3 lakh to INR 6 lakh
||Design, film, Theatre, Painting, Education, Animation
||Academic Institute, art galleries, museums, retail sales executive, flash animators, etc.
Job Prospects, Descriptions, and Salaries offered:
A fine artist is responsible for painting, sculpting, and illustrating at a commercial art studio, design firm, or advertising agency. They can also work through their galleries and sell their masterpieces.
Salary of Fine Artist: INR 4 lakh
An animator's job is to create images and visuals for films, video games, and television by hand or computer.
Salary of an animator: INR 3.3 lakh
Cartoonist works in various mediums, suggest television and the internet and create short movies and films.
Salary of a cartoonist: INR 4 lakh.
Graphic designers use visual designs to engage people in commercials, publications, and brochures.
Salary of a Graphic Designer: INR 3.06 lakh.
Photographers capture people, places, landscapes, food, etc., with a camera by applying technical and artistic ability skills.
Salary of a Photographer: 6.04 lakh
BFA Job Profiles:
- 3D artist
- Art Director
- Visual designer
- Theatre artist
- Art administrator
- Graphic designer
- Dance teacher
- Fine Artist
Scope of BFA:
Bachelor of Fine Arts is a growing industry in India, and it will make 23 billion dollars by 2021 and is still going at a rate of 15% to 20% increase per year.
It offers ample job opportunities as an art teacher, creative writer, art director, etc. Moreover, the freelance industry has populated this career at a tremendous rate.
The bachelor of Fine Arts is now software driven and attracts the attention of innumerable people worldwide.
Take a free career test by Brainwonders and find your right career path.
1. Can I pursue BFA after class 12th?
Ans: Yes, you can pursue BF after class 12th only if you scored 50% in your board exams.
2. Do BFA Colleges Provide financial aid to students?
Ans: Yes, some colleges provide scholarships for scheduled caste students who need financial assistance for the BFA program.
3. Can I Study BFA after class 10th?
Ans: No, the minimum eligibility criteria for BFA is passing class 12th from a recognized board.
4. Can I opt for more than one specialization?
Ans: No, You can opt for one specialization at a time.
We hope that this article has helped you know everything about MSc.
Brainwonders wishes you the best for your future.
Are you aware which subjects and courses will bring you closer to your dream career?
Worry not, because the Brainwonders test and guidance will not only help you know it, but also follow it!