M.Ed (Master of Education): Full form, Course, Eligibility, Colleges, Jobs, Salaries, Scope
09 January,2023 | By Brainwonders
M.Ed stands for Master of Education. It is a PG degree programme for students with good communication and problem-solving skills. It focuses on instructions, curriculum, leadership, Counselling, and educational technology. M.Ed is based on research that helps develop the psychological groundwork that educators need. The course structure is laid out by the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) and is controlled by the National Council of Higher Education (NCHE).
A typical M.Ed course in India ranges between INR 10k to INR 2 lakh per annum. Some of the best M.Ed colleges in India are Mumbai University, Annamalai University, Amity University, etc.
MEd Course Details:
||Master of education
||Semester waste examination
||Minimum percentage of 50% to 60% in relevant courses like b.Ed
||Merit-Based or entrance exam based
||INR 10000 to INR 50000
||INR 4 lakh to INR 5 lakh
|Top recruiting areas
||Educational consultancies, publishing houses, schools, colleges, coaching centers
||Professor, career counsellors, educational administrator, curriculum, online tutor
Top colleges to attend for M.Ed. (Education)
- Pursuing an MEd course allows the candidate to expand their teaching expertise beyond the middle school level and allows them to teach the senior classes 11th and 12th.
- The skills learnt while pursuing and can be applied in other career fields.
- Increasing the degree level increases the pay scale it becomes easier to get a helping job in the Teaching field.
- Teachers with advanced degrees can get various job opportunities for working in schools in administrative positions.
- Government teaching jobs also give transfer opportunities to students.
** Also read about the advantages of LLB Course
**Also read about BSc Psychology Course
Who Should Study for a Master of Education?
- Candidates willing to work in the education industry should pursue an M.Ed course.
- Candidates who want to become teachers or university professors should take up the course.
- Candidates who have completed their bachelor of education can take up this program for career development.
- Candidates interested in working with NGOs and spreading awareness should take up the course.
MEd Eligibility Criteria:
- General candidates must secure 50% marks in graduation courses from a recognised university.
- Schedule castes and tribes are given a 5% relaxation in the qualifying percentage during graduation.
- The candidates must have completed their bachelor's in education from a university approved by UGC.
- Candidates who have completed their B.EI.Ed degree from a government university with 55% marks can also pursue an MEd course.
- Aspirants in their last year of graduation can also apply for a Master of Education Course. However, the results are decided by the final scores.
M.Ed Admission Process:
Step 1: Visit the institute's official website, collect the admission form, and register online.
Step 2: fill in the application form and attach the required documents per the guidelines.
Step 3: Before submitting the document, the candidate should preview any changes that are to be made.
Step 4: The final step is to submit the fee and print the receipt for later use.
In the case of Entrance Exams, students must score high and get a place within the cutoff range to become eligible for the exam.
MEd Entrance Exams:
- DUET: Delhi University entrance test is an online admission test conducted by a National testing agency offering admissions in UG, PG and doctorate courses.
- BHU PET: Banaras Hindu University Post Graduate Entrance Test is conducted by Banaras Hindu University, which is operated online in 200 cities across India.
- JUET: Jammu University entrance test is conducted by Jammu University annually for admissions to postgraduate degrees and postgraduate diplomas.
- AMU Test: Aligarh Muslim University entrance test is conducted in two ways: Departmental Admission Test and Entrance Exam.
Take an IQ Test by Brainwonders and find if you can crack the exams.
How to Prepare for the M.Ed Entrance Examination?
- The Entrance forms for M.Ed can be applied online and offline by the candidates.
- Students must adequately fill in details to reduce the chances of rejection.
- Time of Exam: 1.5 hours
- Question types: Mostly Objective type questions
- General knowledge
- Teaching Aptitude
- Logical Reasoning and quantitative aptitude
- General English
- Prepare notes on each subject.
- Study reference books.
- Attempt Previous year's papers for better understanding.
- Observe the question paper pattern.
- Practice mock tests.
- Work more on your weak subjects.
- Practice computer knowledge questions.
- Master the graduation subjects well.
M.Ed Entrance Exam Reference Books:
- Handbook of M.Ed Entrance Paperback by Chaman Lal Banga
- M.Ed Entrance Test by M.Ed Pravesh Pariksha
- M.Ed Guide by Bhatia K.K
How to Get admission to Good M.Ed College?
- Most colleges have entrance exams for admission.
- Merit lists of the qualified candidates are released, and they are notified of the counselling session.
- Cutoff marks are displayed on the college sites.
- Students are then called for document verification and fee payment.
MEd Skills Required by Students:
- Team player
- Organisation skills
- Classroom Management skills
- Conflict-solving skills
- Ability to adapt
- Ability to engage
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Observation skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Mentoring counselling skills
- Ability to empower
- Ability to plan
- Hard work
Visit Brainwonders counselling site and book an appointment call with our experts.
Top M.Ed Colleges and Universities with Fee structure:
- Banaras Hindu University - INR 4.5k
- Government College of Teacher Education - INR 8.4k
- University of Delhi - INR 5.4k
- Jamia Millia Islamia - INR 7.5k
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University - INR 75k
- Patna Women's College, Patna - INR 6.6k
- Aligarh Muslim University - INR 8k
- Savitribai Phule Pune University - INR 25k
- Annamalai University - INR 90k
- Indira Gandhi National Open University - INR 20k
- Lovely Professional University - INR 1 lakh
- Amity University, Noida - INR 1.2 lakh
- Integral University - INR 60000
- St. Xavier's College of Education, Patna - INR 90k
- SRM University Chennai - INR 60000
- Jaipur National University - INR 72k
- Banasthali Vidyapeeth - INR 50k
- Ghulam Ahmed College of Education - INR 11.5k
- Mumbai University - INR 13k
- Mahatma Gandhi University - INR 70k
M.Ed Colleges According to Locations and States with Fee structure:
M.Ed Colleges in Kolkata:
- Sammilani Teachers Training College - INR 75k
- University of Calcutta - INR 5508
- IAS Academy - INR 47.5k
- The West Bengal University of Teacher's Training, Education, Planning, and Administration - INR 17.6k
M.Ed Colleges in Delhi:
- Jamia Millia Islamia - INR 7.4k
- Ganga Group of Institutions - INR 43.5k
- Secure Success Academy - INR 1.1 lakh
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University - INR 1.58 lakh
- Lovely Professional University - INR 2.12 lakh
M.Ed Colleges in Bangalore:
- Bangalore City College of Education - INR 19k
- Vijaya Teachers College - INR 22.8k
- Bangalore University - INR 9.2k
- Bengaluru Central University - INR 24k
M.Ed Colleges in Mumbai:
- K.J. Somaiya Comprehensive College of Education Training and Research - INR 1.2 lakh
- Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women's University - INR 15k
- St. Teresa's Institute of Education - INR 68k
- Somaiya Vidyavihar University - INR 1.43 lakh
M.Ed Colleges in Pune:
- Dr DY Patil Vidya Pratishthan Society - INR 45k
- Shri Khanderai Pratishthan's MEd College - INR 28k
- Mit World Peace University - INR 59k
- Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women's University - INR 15k
Also read about Top 20 UNiversities in India according to NIRF ranking
M.Ed Distance Learning:
- The minimum duration of the M.Ed Distance mode is two years and can be stretched up to 4 years.
- Distance M.Ed program is taken up by those students who want to study but cannot relocate from their hometown.
Distance M.Ed Admission Process:
The admission to Distance M.Ed Course is merit-based. The eligibility criteria include the following:
- Candidates must have passed B.Ed or another equivalent course with a minimum aggregate of 55% marks from a recognised University.
- The reservation for the SC/ST/OBC is based on the Central Government guidelines.
- A 5% relaxation is provided to reserved category candidates.
- Two years of teaching experience is required in some cases.
Top Distance M.Ed Colleges with fee structure:
- Indira Gandhi National Open University - INR 40k
- Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University - INR 21k
- Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University - INR 45k
- Acharya Nagarjuna University - INR 5118
- Nalanda Open University - INR 20k
- School of Correspondence and Continuing Education, DU - INR 9k
- Punjab University - INR 8200
- Netaji Subhas Open University - INR 25k
Study M.Ed from Abroad:
- The candidates must pass their graduation in the required stream mentioned by the individual Colleges.
- Candidates are required to provide English proficiency tests such as IELTS and TOEFL.
- The candidates must provide bank statements, letters of recommendation, work experience, Medical certificates, etc.
Top Overseas M.Ed Colleges with fee structure in INR:
- Harvard University - INR 38 lakh
- New York University - INR 23 lakh
- University of British Columbia - INR 8 lakh
- The University of Melbourne - INR 20 lakh
- University of New South Wales - INR 30 lakh
- Brunel University London - INR 17 lakh
- Monash University - INR 19 lakh
MEd Semester-wise Syllabus:
- Philosophical foundations of education - I
- Psychological Foundations of education - I
- Sociological Foundations of Education - I
- The Methodology of Educational Research and Educational Statistics - I
- Information and Communication Technology in Education
- Research Communication and Expository Writing Skills
- Philosophical foundations of Education - II
- Psychological Foundation of Education - II
- Sociological Foundations of Education - II
- The Methodology of Educational Research and Educational Statistics - II
- Educational Data Analysis through Statistical Packages
- Proposal Preparation and Presentation
- Comparative Education - I
- Curriculum Studies - I
- Special Papers
- Dissertation/Special Papers
- Specialisation Based Internship
- Comparative Education II
- Curriculum Studies II
- Special Papers
- Dissertation/Special Paper
|Elementary Education in India: Administration and Management
||Aspects, Planning and Management at Secondary and Senior Secondary Level
|Issues and Curricular Concerns at Elementary Level
||Issues and Curricular Concerns at Secondary and Senior Secondary Level
|Advanced Curriculum Theory
|Education Policy, Planning and Financing of Education at Secondary and Senior Secondary Level
||Issues, Planning, and Policies of Elementary Education
|Towards Academic Leadership at Secondary School Level
||Education Management and Planning at Secondary Level
|Policy, Planning and Financing of Education
|Information and Communication Technology in Education
||Issues and Challenges in Secondary Education
||Guidance and counselling
|Supporting Education of Students from Disabilities and Disadvantaged group
||Educational, Vocational Guidance and Counselling
||Social Science Education
||Special Education Knowledge
Course Comparison: M.Ed VS MA Education:
||Master of education
||Master of arts in education
|Aim of study
||The main aim is to hold an in- depth knowledge of the teaching and education sector
||MA education aims to build proficiency in pedagogy and leadership in the enroll students
||Completed B.Ed with 50 to 55%marks
||Bachelors in any relevant subject from a UGC recognised Institute
||Primarily entrance exam based
||Primarily merit based
||Educational psychology, education studies,comparative study
||Philosophical and social foundations of education, educational administration and management, human rights and laws
||M.Ed offers a number of specializations in the last year or semester
||M.A education is a specialization course itself
|Average annual fee
||INR 10000 to INR 50000
||INR 15000 to INR 30000
|Average salary package
||INR 4 to 5 lakhs
||INR 3 to 4 lakhs
M.Ed College Comparison:
||Maulana Azad National Urdu University
||Indira Gandhi National Open University
||Regional Institute of Education
||It comprises 7 schools that offer Masters programmes, research programmes at MPhil and PhD level.
||It offers open and distance learning with 67 regional centers, 2665 learner support and more than 3 million students.
||It is a constituent of NCERT and caters to the educational needs of Teachers of Eastern Indian region.
||NAAC, UGC, NCTE
||NCTE, AICTE, NAAC
Job Prospects, Descriptions, and Salaries Offered:
||Professors educate the nation's youth related to the subject and provide knowledge to students.
||INR 10.35 lakh
||The principal establishes academic and behavioural standards of students and oversees the curriculum programs, administration and services.
||INR 6.18 lakh
||An admission counsellor guides the students regarding the college's admission process and suggests suitable courses for the candidates
||INR 2.91 lakh
||Junior Assistant assists rehabilitation Officers with transactional duties
||INR 2.23 lakh
Read about the job prospects after interior designing.
After completing the M.Ed course, students can pursue higher studies or can have a job in the Teaching line.
Some of these courses include:
PhD is a 2-year doctorate which enables postgraduate students to have research-based knowledge. This allows students to have a career as University professors, professional practitioners, etc.
PhD in teaching focuses on the preparation of researchers in education. This course includes work, research, etc.
MEd Top Recruiters:
- Kendra Vidyalaya Schools
- Private Schools
- Educational Research Institutes
Q1. What is the eligibility criteria for M.Ed Course?
Ans: The candidate must have completed their B.Ed graduation from a NCTE recognised college and have a minimum aggregate of 55% marks.
Q2. Can I pursue M.Ed with M.Sc?
Ans: Yes, as per the new guidelines for colleges you can pursue both degrees. However, one must be in distance mode.
Q3. What are the career opportunities after M.Ed?
Ans: Candidates can apply for teaching jobs in both private and public sectors. They can also open their own institutes.
Q4. Can I become a lecturer after M.Ed?
Ans: Yes, you can become a lecturer or professor after completing your M.Ed in a prestigious institute.
We hope that this article has cleared all your doubts about MEd. For solving your residual doubts Brainwonders is here with its specialised team of experts.
Are you aware which subjects and courses will bring you closer to your dream career?
Worry not, because the Brainwonders test and guidance will not only help you know it, but also follow it!